This blog has been relocated to GetYourSwagup.com


Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Cudi Zone

Even after much new music, went back to the Cudi album this evening.

Designed all day, t-shirts, flyers, logos, invites, websites, today was a money maker.

For all my artists out there, one of our radio promoters J. Troupe has branched off his company Access Branded into Access HD Radio, connecting artists with more than a dozen markets through radio promo for worthy singles. I tossed a one page up on getyourswagup.com for that, and spent some time working on DJ Slippe's website for Platinum Nightlife Group.

Had a meeting with our soon-to-be publicist this evening at the W, my meeting after sadly got cancelled so I ate a red velvet cupcake and hit the gym, and the meeting went well, I've been anxious to find the right publicist for a long time and I think this is a good fit.

Publicists to me are like marketing companies, unless they can tell you what they're really going to do they're just fronting. I honestly don't really care too much about music magazines, at the end of the day we could just pay 2500 or whatever the retainer is to an established indie music publicist and get our Fader/Spin articles but I don't want to be just another band on the pages of bands. We look to good and have too good a story to be confined to that, and I want to make the bridge with fashion press as much as possible, Interview excites me more than XXL.

Which brings me to a current topic of much discussion between me and myself... Are we going to go full bore marketing as an indie group as well as a pop group? Hard question. On one hand we're enjoying immense mainstream success... Dedicated radio play, high school and college tours, high profile press and label attention, but on the other hand we're extremely indie marketable... Slave is an indie SMASH, we're produced by DEATH TO THE THRONE (lol), our sponsors are hella indie, we have a skate dvd, wear skinny jeans, have a dubstep mixtape, were born out of the Glam (old Phoenix nightclub) scene etc. And we throw a hell of a dance party...

So I've been torn as to whether we are CMJ (College Music Journal) applicable, as CMJ is the standard by which all things indie are judged. If we are, I'm going to drop money on college radio promo, keep making this mixtapes and see what we can rustle up... Decisions decisions.

Anyway. Ate a steak, egg and cheese bagel today, homemade, and it was fantastic. Cleaned my room and found immense amounts of foriegn objects (drum keys, corsets, the Bhagavad Gita etc).

Flying to Hawaii in about 6 hours.